Thursday 3 November 2011

Ron Grainer - The Omega Man OST (1971)


A fine piece of original scoring for you today. The full soundtrack to the second ( and my personal favourite) film version of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, the Charlton Heston starring The Omega Man.
Grainer worked on a lot of TV and film music, even helping compose the famous theme to Doctor Who, and was very progressive in the use of strange sounds and electronic musical instruments. The Omega Man uses these odd effects but also balances them with uptempo, almost psychedelic rock, glimmers of folk and some very stirring orchestration to soundtrack Chuck Heston's running fight with "The Family". I won't recap the film as its been adapted four times for the big screen, my favourite posted here, the 1964 The Last Man On Earth, 2007's I Am Legend and those cheeky devils at Asylum Films knocked out their own adaptation in the same year, I Am Omega. So here you have it, one of my favourite 70's scores, a very hard to find one at that. It never got a proper release until a 3000 copy pressing in 2002 and then a general release in 2008.











2 comments:

  1. Omega Man is an incredible film. i remember the soundtrack being fairly wild as well so downloading now. nuts to the Heston Haters. couldn't give a monkeys about guns, pretty much every film he's done has been solid gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True,the guy has been involved with some pretty awesome exploits on the silver screen. I love this soundtrack. Each track perfectly suits the scene and mood. Just as a good OST should.

    ReplyDelete